- Born: 12 Aug 1875, Creston, Union County, Iowa 50801 599,603
- Marriage: John William WHITEHILL on 22 Nov 1893 599
- Died: 16 Jul 1957, Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601 at age 81 599
- Buried: 19 Jul 1957, Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA 41,599
Anna's obituary is available via email request
Noted events in her life were:
• Residence, 1880, Fisher Township, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. 1128 living with her parents.
• Residence, Oct 1914, Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601. 1129
• Residence, 1920, Fisher Township, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. 601 where she was a home maker.
• Residence, 1930, Walnut Township, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. 602 where she was a home maker.
• Cemetery, Jul 1957, Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA. 599 Lot 3
• Honors. by having the following published in an unknown book:
JOHN AND MAY HOOD WHITEHILL
John William Whitehill the youngest of 9 children of Matthew and Martha Jane Blakney or Blakely, was born April 21, 1866 near Canton in Fulton Co. Il. He came to Iowa with his parents and 4 brothers when John was 6 years old. They located south of Shenandoah in the Summit vicinity. John attended Summit Church and School. There has been Whitehill's in the Church and School as long as the school was in use. There are still Whitehill's of direct descendance [sic] in the church.
The following was written by Edna Whitehill Smith: John William Whitehill was my father. He was born at Canton, Illinois, April 21, 1866. Anna May Hood was my mother. She was born in Creston, Iowa, August 12, 1874 and moved to the Hood homestead south of Shenandoah when she was one year old. My parents were married on November 22, 1893.
Anna May Hood was the daughter of Robert and Miriam (Mear) Hood, was born August 12, 1874. Robert Henry Hood was born in England October 26, 1845. He moved with his parents to Canada, when he was 20 years old he went to Il. On Jan. 5, 1870 he married Miriam and they moved to Creston, Iowa. When Anna was 18 months old they moved to the Summit vicinity. They located 1 mile east and 1/2 mile north of the Whitehill home. John and Anna May were married Nov. 22, 1893. They lived most of their lives in the Locust Grove and Fisher Townships in Fremont Co. (IA). They had 9 children: Robert Lee, George Donald, Mabel Alice, Irene Belle, William Harold, Ruth Elizabeth, Dorothy May, Charles Delbert, and Edna Lois. John was a good farmer and never had any trouble finding land to rent. He had the habit of staying only a year or two on a farm. He could cultivate a row of corn like it had been hoed. He was a good father, strict but loving. He liked to play horseshoe and "one over on Dad". He was not a very big man, only about 5'7-8" and weighed about 160#'s. He had a handlebar moustache that he loved to twirl. May was a loving lady, always ready to give a helping hand. John passed away April 9, 1938, and May died July 16, 1957. Both are buried in Rose Hill Cemetery in Shenandoah, Ia.
Anna married John William WHITEHILL, son of Mathew WHITEHILL and Martha Jane BLAKENEY, on 22 Nov 1893.599 (John William WHITEHILL was born on 21 Apr 1866 in Canton, Fulton County, Illinois, USA,98,131,599 died on 9 Apr 1938 in Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601 599 and was buried in Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA 599.)