Paul William WHITEHILL 131,598
- Born: 30 Sep 1894, Page County, Iowa 598,1151
- Marriage: Esther Pearl OLSON on 28 Dec 1921 in Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601 1150
- Died: 8 Nov 1979, Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601 at age 85 1150
- Buried: Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA 1150
Noted events in his life were:
• Military Service, Jul 1917. 1152 World War I: draft No. 1383
• Residence, 1920, Fremont County, Iowa. 598 Living with his mother.
• Occupation, 1920, Fremont County, Iowa. 598 No occupation listed in 1920 census
• Residence, 1930, Morton Township, Page County, Iowa, USA. 1153
• Occupation, 1930, Morton Township, Page County, Iowa, USA. 1153 as a general farmer.
• Residence, 1970, Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601. 424 after he left farming.
• Residence, 1979, Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601. 115
• Honors, 1984, Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601. 1154 See 'Paul Whitehill', Page County History available at the Nodaway Valley Historical Museum, Clarinda, Iowa
Paul Whitehill, son of Sam and Maude Whitehill, was born in Fremont County, Iowa, September 30, 1894. His first 36 years were spent on the "Home Whitehill Farm" located 3/4 mile north of Summit Church, south of Shenandoah and purchased by Paul's grandfather, Matthew Whitehill, in 1872 for $25 an acre. In 1918, Paul took over the farming operations of his father, who succumbed to a heart attach, early that Spring. In 1921, Paul married Ester (sic) Olson of Shenandoah. To this union were born two sons, Eldon Duane in 1924 and Dale Eugene in 1929, both farmers in Page County, Iowa. In the Spring of 1933 the family moved into Page County. Paul always strove to lend a helping hand where he could and when needed, taking special interest in the family Church, Summit Methodist, in which his grandmother, Mrs. Matthew Whitehill, was instrumental in establishing. For 26 years Paul served as Summit Church treasurer. Early in his farming career Paul became an active Farm Bureau member, serving as township director in Fisher Township, as director, vice president and county president four years in Page County. When the New Deal Program was instigated and NFO organized, Paul gave both his hearty support hoping for a plan to aid farmers adversely affected by the Depression and low farm prices. Paul served as corn sealer a number of years in Morton, Washington and Colfax Townships. In 1948, the Whitehills built a new house upon their Morton Township farm to which they moved in 1933. Paul survived his first heart attack in 1961, his second in 1967, turning farming operations over to son Dale in 1961, remaining semi-retired even after moving to Shenandoah in 1970. In 1971 Paul and Esther celebrated their 50thwedding anniversary with open house at Summit Church. On September 30, Paul's 85th birthday, the Summit Church folk surprised him with a coffee following worship services. On the following November 8 Paul suffered a fatal heart attack at the farm home of his son Dale. Paul's wife Esther, born July 14, 1901, daughter of Alfred H. and Helena Olson was raised on a farm north of Norwich. She was a Normal Training graduate of Shenandoah High School teaching in rural schools of Page and Fremont Counties. At an early age Esther showed interest in Public Speaking, placing first in a Declamatory Contest in 1914, sponsored by the WCTU and held in the Norwich Church. In 1917 she placed first in a contest at Shenandoah High School. She represented Page County in Public Speaking in 1936, 1937, and 1938, giving readings at various social functions. She was Morton 4-H Leader three years, is Summit Church historian and on her 62nd year as teacher in the Summit Sunday School. Since residing in Shenandoah she has done volunteer reading at the Elm Heights Care Center. Submitted by Esther Whitehill
• Cemetery, Nov 1979, Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA. 1150 Lot 54
Paul married Esther Pearl OLSON, daughter of Alfred H. OLSON and Helena SUNDBERG, on 28 Dec 1921 in Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601.1150 (Esther Pearl OLSON was born on 14 Jul 1901 in Norwich, Page County, Iowa, USA,1150 died on 1 Mar 1993 in Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601 1150 and was buried in Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA 1150.)