John William WHITEHILL 98
- Born: 21 Apr 1866, Canton, Fulton County, Illinois, USA 98,131,599
- Marriage: Anna May HOOD on 22 Nov 1893 599
- Died: 9 Apr 1938, Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601 at age 71 599
- Buried: Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA 599
According to the 1930 census, John's granddaughter, Connie B. Whitehill was living with his family. She was 3 years old at the time.
Noted events in his life were:
• Residence, 1870, Fulton County, Illinois. 98
• Residence, 1872, Page County, Iowa. 600 when he moved with his parents from Illinois.
• Residence, 1880, Fisher Center, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. living with his parents.
• Occupation, 1880, Fisher Center, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. 429 as a farm laborer.
• Residence, 1920, Fisher Township, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. 601
• Occupation, 1920, Fisher Township, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. 601 Farmer
• Residence, 1930, Walnut Township, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. 602
• Occupation, 1930, Walnut Township, Fremont County, Iowa, USA. 602 as a farmer.
• Cemetery, Apr 1938, Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA. 599 Lot 3
• Honors. by having the following published in an unknown book:
JOHN AND MAY HOOD WHITEHILL
John William Whitehill the youngest of 9 children of Matthew and Martha Jane Blakney or Blakely, was born April 21, 1866 near Canton in Fulton Co. Il. He came to Iowa with his parents and 4 brothers when John was 6 years old. They located south of Shenandoah in the Summit vicinity. John attended Summit Church and School. There has been Whitehill's in the Church and School as long as the school was in use. There are still Whitehill's of direct descendance [sic] in the church.
The following was written by Edna Whitehill Smith: John William Whitehill was my father. He was born at Canton, Illinois, April 21, 1866. Anna May Hood was my mother. She was born in Creston, Iowa, August 12, 1874 and moved to the Hood homestead south of Shenandoah when she was one year old. My parents were married on November 22, 1893.
Anna May Hood was the daughter of Robert and Miriam (Mear) Hood, was born August 12, 1874. Robert Henry Hood was born in England October 26, 1845. He moved with his parents to Canada, when he was 20 years old he went to Il. On Jan. 5, 1870 he married Miriam and they moved to Creston, Iowa. When Anna was 18 months old they moved to the Summit vicinity. They located 1 mile east and 1/2 mile north of the Whitehill home. John and Anna May were married Nov. 22, 1893. They lived most of their lives in the Locust Grove and Fisher Townships in Fremont Co. (IA). They had 9 children: Robert Lee, George Donald, Mabel Alice, Irene Belle, William Harold, Ruth Elizabeth, Dorothy May, Charles Delbert, and Edna Lois. John was a good farmer and never had any trouble finding land to rent. He had the habit of staying only a year or two on a farm. He could cultivate a row of corn like it had been hoed. He was a good father, strict but loving. He liked to play horseshoe and "one over on Dad". He was not a very big man, only about 5'7-8" and weighed about 160#'s. He had a handlebar moustache that he loved to twirl. May was a loving lady, always ready to give a helping hand. John passed away April 9, 1938, and May died July 16, 1957. Both are buried in Rose Hill Cemetery in Shenandoah, Ia.
John married Anna May HOOD, daughter of Robert Henry HOOD Senior and Miriam Alice MEAR, on 22 Nov 1893.599 (Anna May HOOD was born on 12 Aug 1875 in Creston, Union County, Iowa 50801,599,603 died on 16 Jul 1957 in Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa 51601 599 and was buried on 19 Jul 1957 in Rose Hill Cemetery: Shenandoah, Page County, Iowa, USA 41,599.)